It's sort of a hijack on the tread to answer, but its a valid question. Strobes are more of a niche nowadays, IMHO. With the advent of more powerful flashlights,EPIRBS, PLBs, SPOT, cell phones even, the necessity of strobes from rescuee to SAR seems more and more rare on land. It most probably is greater in water rescue where there is an emphasis on visual distinction among the ocean along with flares.

Don't mistake me, I do carry my 30 year old ACR Firefly 4G when I feel the need is there but its not a EDC item. I have looked at eventual replacements from time to time and I have found all wholly lacking in comparison except other ACR products as a far second.

Rescue laser flares may fit your spot for land/air signaling. ETS did a review of these in 2006 that has a lot of good info on it though did not compare it to strobes in a apples/apples test. I could only surmise technology has improved size, weight, performance and battery life of these items.

hikermor is right, rugged, sturdy strobes are the gold standard. Cheaper, smaller strobe models are nice for very short areas of a few hundred yards to perhaps miles from an open position, but a true strobe is light years beyond.