Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Also, in California, there were some pretty bad fires a couple years ago. The government seemed to be well prepared, but what if the government wasn't? Then, many people would have been stranded and desperate, which would have lead to unrest or worse...

California has pretty bad fires on a regular basis, and has learned to deal with them fairly effectively. There have been a few exceptions, but they are rare.

I think a key factor, not surprisingly, is the relative affluence of the populations. In California, everyone has a car. You simply drive away from the flames, bypassing the Red Cross and large animal shelters on the way to the motel/resort/friend's home of your choice. Shelters are typically underutilized. Even a very bad fire which guts a few hundred homes affects only a very small fraction of the population, hence there is no large scale disruption.

I'm fairly certain northern Cali is not prepared for fires like southern Cali is. I have lived in northern Cali for about 30 years total. Anyway, I think my original assertion is true. The government stepped in heavily and greatly helped many people who were displaced in the big fires from a few years ago. However, I don't think the point of this site is to say, "Cool, I don't have to worry because others and the government will help me out."