Originally Posted By: duckear
They are great flashlights and in a pinch, they may work even better for you than a heavy, expensive, dedicated strobe that will likely never be needed.

Strobes are standard fare for at sea rescues and military ops, but I would be interested in how often they have been the key to a civilian land rescue.

We did very few sea rescues in and around Tucson, Arizona, and we used strobes routinely in land rescues involving helicopters. I have participated in at least thirty.

I really appreciate bright, durable strobes. I have several flashlights and headlamps with strobe functions and they are not comparable to a quality, dedicated strobe like the ACR, which is really all that heavy, considering its' utility. Given the OP's original post, I would indeed recommend a "heavy, expensive dedicated strobe" - that saves lives.

I am not current with the current strobe market, so I imagine there is a strobe out there which is just as useful and durable as the ACR, but lighter and cheaper. That seems to be the general trend in electronics these days.