Sorry to start a flame war...but for the record, I trained all winter (coldest I ran in was 22 degrees) in Vibram Five Fingers (no foot support) with a single layer of thin wool socks for foot insulation. There were also days I ran through mud (obviusly above freezing) with soaking wet feet. Sneakers would be comfy wink

I also KNOW I could NOT run 40 miles, but I suspect I could walk it.

I don't mean to take credit away from this woman. She did a heck of a thing. Actually, if you read my post, I conceded that in circumstances without a muddy road to follow I would almost certainly parish!

I believe I read something by Doug someplace about how a major disadvantage to people these days is never "roughing it" out at night. I think a lot about that. Sure I spend time outdoors in cold weather, but I never spend the night out, I always retreat to a nice warm house or car or sleeping bag, whatever. Thus I agree, and concede, after 6 or 12 hours of walking the exposure factor would be substantial! I know after spending 6 or 8 hours in 2 degree whether my body is whooped, and 12 hours in the 20 something area is no joy either. I may not make it in a similar situation! One never knows.