I can imagine a lot of areas where the ground is flat and solid enough for the wheel to do its work - like the terrain shown in those pictures.

On the other hand, most places a wheel won't work at all. It will sink into mud, marshes, sand and will get stuck, pinched and abused by rocks, logs and sticks.

Actually, the wheel thingy should work just fine anywhere you can ride a bicycle without being a die-hard offroad racing expert. In my neck of the woods, you usually can't ride cross country except on good trails.

The 50 pound version is just a waste of good building materials, IMO - at least it would be for me. 50 pounds is the upper limit of what I consider reasonable for a backpack (I try to stay below that, but I have no worries with 50 pounds). The 100 pound version is more interesting. I have a very good backpack made for that kind of loads, but my knees are eternal grateful that I never load it up with 100 pounds. (I've been pretty close, but only very short distances - typically going a few miles from the car to the cabin loaded with wine and food). I see a similar purpose for this one - hauling loads a few miles from your car to your base camp or cabin on a "bike capable" kind of track. Is that worth the stiff price tag? Not in my world, but each to his own.

This thing made me think about travois kind of sledges, which I only know from Wild West stories. Anybody tried something similar?

Oh, and in the winter time you definitively want a pulk to haul heavy gear on the snow. Unlike this rollerpack, pulks have a track record of probably several thousands years. But pulks require snow to work properly.

EDIT 1: My initial comments may have been a bit too harsh. Getting that pack off your back is a great relief, even if it's not overly heavy (< 50 pounds) and a comfortable pack. Particular in hot weather. The "bike friendly terrain" limitation will be unacceptable for me, though.

EDIT 2: I checked their web site, and see they have a "ski attachment accessory" for this contraption... which is a foot long ski that takes over the job of the wheel. I have a hard time seeing how this would not interfere with your own snow shoes or skis. But can't blame 'em for trying.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (04/15/10 07:51 AM)