"If I'm hoofing it 40 miles through "enemy territory" the whole way, I'm in big trouble... What can I do about it? I can't carry a rifle everywhere..."

A disguise as a homeless type of person might keep you below radar. A Brooks Brothers suit, leather shoes and a laptop case would probably be every bit as good as a target, front and back. In most cases, clothing probably wouldn't be the first thing troublemakers would be going after, so buying/trading/stealing low-key clothing and a backpack (to keep your hands free) might be something to get as soon as possible. All the guys around here look like street people in their hooded sweatshirts, esp if they have one of those scruffy beards (which I will bet money you don't have).

"... my car kit as being pretty comprehensive... but it's only good for three days of food and water for one person."

Yes, that's tricky. I can't carry a lot of stuff with me, because luggage space is usually taken up with my crews' bags and gear. I do normally carry 2-3 gallons of water in 8 oz bottles (provided by the RR), granola bars and some snack foods, but not nearly enough, and that isn't likely to change. Scrounging and rationing would probably be necessary. I can't see any other solution. And the newer the Suburbans, the less storage space they have.

If a quake hits, I hope I'm home. If I'm in Seattle... SOL is what comes to mind.

Sue