Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Carrying Goretex Socks Goretex socks might be the answer if your dress shoes aren't fully waterproof.

Sceeeeeeeeeeptical...

socks live a though life, and I would be surprised if the membrane would last long. At least that is my family's conclusion with goretex shoes, and I can't think that socks have an easier life than those shoes (where the membrane is protected by a layered construction). Even with high quality expensive shoes it is always a hit-and-miss factor as to how fast the membrane punctures = wet feet. When we get a new pair we usually trade them in on guarantee at least once until we hit the lucky lottery and get a pair that lasts the guaranteed life time of 2 years.

Life span issues aside, walking long distances with a perpetual wet foot may cause blisters pretty fast. A waterproof membrane may or may not help you, but of course the sock it self would have to fit, not being stiff and abrasive, condensation not causing you to get wet and probably a few more issues that could cause trouble.

Unless you have reliable reviews that this actually WORKS in real life, I'd stay away...

If you want extra protection for your feet, a pair of rubber overboots and spare wool socks is a much better idea. The socks won't keep you warm if you wade through icy waters with non-waterproof shoes, but you wring them half-dry and they will regain much of their dry insulation. Both wet and dry, the wool sock will typically be much more comfortable and better to your feet than your average cotton thingy. The overboots I have in mind (basically rubber "socks" that slips over your shoes, they pack reasonably small) are typically not made for long distance walking on hard surface, but may be very helpful in a downpour or for crossing wet areas.

EDIT: About the headlamp - a length of bungee cord with a cord lock or your favorite knot + AAA size light (fenix E01 or itp A3) = makeshift headlamp. Bungee cord is multi-use item.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (04/12/10 09:26 PM)