A few things that I find important for new drivers:

When you pull up behind someone at an intersection or other position where you are stopped behind another vehicle. Leave enough distance so you can see their rear tires touch the ground. For most vehicles this allows you to maneuver around them should you need to.

When driving in traffic dont focus solely on the vehicles immediately around you. Focus well down the road so you have more reaction time to things coming up on you. Too many people simply watch the vehicle immediately in front of them and wonder why they run into the rear end of said vehicle when traffic suddenly slows because of some junk in the road or whatever.

Focus on driving, your brain can only handle so much stimuli. If it is raining and traffic is bad turn down the radio so your mind has less to process. This applies to anytime you are multitasking, limit what your mind has to process for safety.

Your vehicle is like an equation if you add or subtract too much acceleration with too much steering you will lose traction, simple as that. You should apply them in inverse ratios or less to each other i.e. 25% acceleration to 75% steering to make a turn or 75% acceleration and 25% steering to change lanes. If you try to do 100% steer to 100% acceleration you get a burnout/doughnut which is a loss of traction.

Keep your head on a swivel. You should constantly be scanning the area around your vehicle and maintaining a mental image of the space around you. Always check your blindspots and set your mirrors up for success so you minimize those blindspots.

Position your seat so that you can comfortably push the gas/brake pedal too the floor with the ball of your foot if not flat footed. Your seat and seat back should be where you can sit all the way back and extend one arm forward and have your wrist at the steering wheel. This allows for good control of the vehicle even in complex defensive maneuvers.

Wear your seatbelt.