Originally Posted By: Susan

It would also be interesting if a disaster occurred, to make a point of finding out how people dealt with it, what makeshift plans they came up with, and even more importantly, if that disaster made them more aware of what they should do in the future.

Alas, everyone would be so busy trying to deal with the problems that there wouldn't be anyone with the spare time to take notes.

Read up on the Northridge quake of 1994. It messed things up royally for a bit, but the average person coped, and evidently did reasonably well. There were no water or food riots, unlike the Rodney King situation a few years earlier.

Depending upon which section of Los Angeles you are considering, you might be able to make a case for concern about other, more threatening hazards than earthquakes - stray bullets from gangbangers and the ubiquitous auto accidents, for instance.

I like to think that I have prepared for earthquakes and other potential disasters (wild fires). I have about thirty gallons of water stockpiled, plus the water heater, along with food and plenty of camping and outdoor gear and I pay for earthquake insurance. But I am probably not as prepared as I would like to think, especially if the Big One comes.