Originally Posted By: Compugeek
Like anywhere else, most Californians don't even think about the possibility of something unpleasant happening to them.

Well, there's something to the psychology of preparedness that we still don't have a good handle on. What are the chances of a violent home invasion or child abduction by a stranger or rape by a stranger to them? Very low. Yet these particular events are in the forefront of many people's consciousness on a daily basis even if they live in safe La Jolla or Rancho Bernardo.

I find it amusing but dismaying, too, that a certain major security company only uses examples of violent home invasions to sell their products/services in TV commercials lately. Gee, remember when they used to be called "burglar alarms" and the commercials would show a guy in a ski mask peek his head above the window sill? The commercials dismay me since fear is used far too often to sell things or for political purposes. But, I guess it's easier to get people to act on fear than to stand up for something in a positive way, unfortunately. Preparedness should be a positive lifestyle choice, not something done out of fear but that approach doesn't seem to work too well as we see from these earthquake prep numbers.