Based on your input I am now looking for a snickers substitute with less fat and more energy from nuts, dried fruits, sugar and the like... both quick and slow carbs. Although the snickers aren't bad for this purpose I don't need to carry fat in my PSK, I've got more than enough around my stomach....

Your wilderness / survival diet according to one of our local outdoors legends:
Fat - on your body
Protein - from nature (fishing, hunting, insects)
Carbohydrates - with you.

As posted in this thread, a minimum intake of carbs will make you function reasonably well for quite some time. (According to Swedish army manual, the limit for functioning at an all-carb 500 kcal diet is when fat reserves are totally depleted, which should take about 3-4 weeks for their typical healthy male soldier). I have no illusions that this is a miserable (and hungry!) diet, but at least you should be able to function at a level sufficient for self preservation.

I am a bit puzzled that so many here talk about protein. My understanding is that muscle-building protein isn't important in a survival scenario. A minimum intake of carbs is important for body functions to remain normal, including fat burning. And ANYTHING you can eat beyond that will make you feel better: Carbs, protein, fat, fibers, ... gulp down as much as you can get hold of easily.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (04/04/10 11:38 AM)