Originally Posted By: Brangdon
It's curious that this went so badly despite his having so much experience. The article mentions over 6 previous trips, with him studying and learning from each one.

Though the article does not delve into what Code's experiences were on those previous trips. I can tell you from personal experience that over the last 30 years, I have spent weeks and months in the outdoors learning bushcraft and I still haven't got it all figured out.

As with most cases of people dying out in the wildnerness, it is never one sole mistake that cost them their life, rather a series of events that lead up to it. This is what I always keep in mind when venturing out...

To me, what was most striking in the article was the last paragraph:

Whether a tent would have saved Mr. Code is a question no one would be asking had he only made it another 800 metres over open ground to the trailer park at the south end of Bear Lake. The resort, which was visible from where Mr. Code started his trip, was empty and cold, but the pay phone was working.

This serves to remind us that even when potential help is so close, you might as well be on the moon...

John Lubbock