Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

I personally think that fishing and snare kits are a waste of time and space. Certainly if you hike near a place where a simple fishing kit will get you fish in a few minutes, or where snares are a sure thing then, it would be silly not to carry the necessary equipment. But, unfortunately, most of us don't live, stay, or travel through such areas. It is also interesting to note the numbers of people who have no experience with snares or fishing who carry them expecting to learn on the fly.

One of the best books I have seen on snares was written in 1910. Setting snares in a survival situation would be very, very low on my list of priorities as effective snare setting requires a lot of practice which is not practical as it is against the law in most places. The book can be downloaded as a PDF file here . Note that is a 20 MB download and maybe not suitable for dialup connections.

On the other hand, anyone can fish with very little equipment and experience. When I go out hiking and know that I will be passing by a lake or stream (and time permitting), this similar 6' Shimano collapsible rod is in the backpack along with a small assortment of lures, hooks, weights etc.

John Lubbock