Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Why does everyone include fishing and snaring gear in their kit? Food is not that high on your priorites. I see the point that both the snare and fishing kit essentially are small collection of multi-use items (cordage and sharp metal objects), which is good. But why the perpetual fuss about fishing and snaring? Shelter, water and fire are usually much more important. Stick some snickers bars in your pack so you'll have an energy boost. If you can obtain food without much effort then eat it, but don't waste energy trying to feed yourself.

You are right, but the preference may be a regional thing I suppose. I carry fish hooks, line, a weighted foam bobber, a frog spear head and light snare wire. The uses for light wire are endless, so no explanation needed I'm sure. As to fishing gear, fish abound and are free for the taking where I go, and the equipment to get them is small and light, and it does not displace anything important in my kit. One of the best survival strategies in most situations is to sit tight, signal, and wait. So.....why not go fishing and eat like Robin Hood's Merry Men while you wait?