Originally Posted By: hikermor
One other problem with the wood from your tree farms would be that they are relatively fast growing with wide growth rings, significantly weaker than "wild" trees, with narrower rings.

The changes in wood quality are the reason than lumber from submerged logs, and older buildings is so valuable. I have done research on late nineteenth century schooners, and the quality of wood you see in their hulls is incredible - beams fifty feet long (and longer) with few if any knots, closely spaced rings - absolutely beautiful wood that is just about extinct today.

You're absolutely correct. In this area of millions of acres of forest, there is almost no old-growth anywhere, just a few individuals or patches due to topography or mapping errors. I have seen pictures of the area in the early 1900's. Not a live tree standing anywhere, and rivers running with mud. The national, state, and county forest systems were developed to prevent that type of clear-cutting ever again. They are still mining old sunken logs from the big lakes and rivers here, but the thing is that these are luxury items now. In this era of engineered beams and steel studs, natural wooden beams are no longer needed. I have watched loggers snip down trees (no axes or chainsaws needed) and the same machine strips off the branches and then the 'log' goes into a giant chipper. The wood leaves the forest in the form of a truck full of wood chips. It is later formed into oxboard, engineered beams, or cooked into cardboard/paper etc. Depending on your perspective, one of the benefits is increased game species such as whitetail deer and grouse which thrive on forest openings and new growth. Almost nothing other than trees lives in dense old forests.