We have found a place that is surrounded by mostly untouched land. For literally a hundred or more miles in most directions, there is nothing but sparse (11 people per square mile) or no population at all.

Why Arizona is just a place where two roads meet. To the east for a 3 hour drive is an Indian reservation. South for 30 miles a reservation or wilderness area or National Park to the border. South of the border are a very few small towns, but mostly vast empty spaces. To the west is a wilderness area, north west from here to Yuma is a military training area which is mostly unused. North for 60 miles is military and then only the small town of Ghila Bend.

We do archeology. Yesterday the military was not flying so we were able to enter the live fire range and travel to some areas that seldom have visitors. An hour and a half drive on "two track" sand roads west through the desert to a really wonderful spot. It will remain off limits for the foreseeable future. It is a buffer area around the impact area. Actually the impact area is quite small and most of the training is done electronically. Most of the vast area is not used and is one of the most pristine desert areas in the country.

Living here is not without its problems. I had a medical emergency recently. My drug levels went crazy and I began serious bleeding. We started the three and on half hour drive to the Tucson VA hospital. When things began getting worse, we diverted north to Casa Grande which is 45 minutes closer. It was a scary ride.

We have a community well for water. No sewage on-site. Our power comes from solar. The nearest wal-mart is two and a half hours away. The nearest city, Tucson, is three and a half.

People think we are crazy to live here. We think it is wonderful. There are still places like this around. You just have to find them and then be willing to take the risk/benefit ratio.

Nomad.