Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

It was also quite disorienting. It was one of the few places I've needed to use a compass. I stopped for a mid-day snack and when I looked up I wasn't sure which way was north. It was overcast and I couldn't see enough of the sky to use other clues. It reminded me of a Sci-Fi movie where the jail was a vast plane of white nothingness. This was a seemingly endless plane of identical trees. A cynical parody of forest.

I keep this in mind when I read the tracts from the forestry people that tel me 'there are more trees planted now than some earlier time'. The number of trees doesn't count for much if the majority are planted in genetically identical rows, managed and mowed like grass.
Clearly not all woods are created equal.

You are correct on many points Art.

Here are examples of second growth forests that are managed properly and those forests that are not.

This first photo was taken last weekend on a hike and as you can see it looks healthy and the trees are evenly spaced and easy to walk though.

The second photo, again taken last weekend on the same day and only a couple of miles away from the above photo. This mismanaged forest was a hellhole to walk and navigate through. There was supposedly a trail down there somewhere that we were to follow, but can you see it? To navigate through this, compass skills are a must. The trees are so crowded that daylight barely gets through and will never grow large enough to make suitable timber.

This third photo taken while out hiking yesterday shows another well managed and healthy second growth forest that is undergoing active work. This particular forest is about 30 miles away from the above forests.

John Lubbock