Originally Posted By: ILBob

How does any compass manage to be "off" by a few degrees. It points to the north pole (or rather along the lines of magnetic force). That is the same for all compasses.

Granted some are easier to take precise measurements with. Perhaps that's what you meant. But that is often related to operator proficiency.

Not all compasses are created equal in terms of materials and workmanship. Yes compasses should point to north, however how accurate that compass is in degrees was my point. If you are looking for a way to give you an overall indication and direction of travel to follow then yes, almost any compass can provide that.

My background includes 3/12 years of competition orienteering where dead point accuracy is tantamount. After trying almost every compass on the market at the time (and even currently), perhaps I am just too picky on my never ending quest for compass accuracy...

John Lubbock