The Eclipse?
I used one on a bit. Nothing wrong with them.
I thought it was a bit fiddly at first with the circles to line up but I got used to it OK.

I think the Brunton 8099 is fine if the price is good. I still use my older Silva and Sunnto compasses that have been fine for me for years but that is mostly because I am much more used to them.
However if I was buying a new compass I would certainly consider another eclipse.
I use the sighting compasses like rangers and K series Sunnto so Eclipse serves just like the Ranger compass does.

I will tell you that even if you could sight a compass to seconds instead of degrees it would not help much.
The Earth's magnetic field has enough change in it that you wont ever get better than 1 degree accuracy anyhow.
If you can get within 2 degrees true consistently you are doing very good with a magnetic compass.

Edit. I was actually answering Jzmtl but the answer holds.

I do find I have uses for the sighting compasses so I like the Ranger types with the mirrors. I am not as fond of the military style engineer compasses because I find them awkward to focus on and read when sighting a line.

Edited by scafool (03/26/10 03:11 AM)