Thanks everyone for the Wisesales tip. Far and away the best price with no tax and free shipping to SoCal from IL!

Since I'm only using 120V to run the refrigerator and some lights I've removed the transfer switch from the equation. I've installed a 20A-250V twist-lock receptacle on my garage sub-panel. I rewired the twist-lock plug to jumper between the A & B phases which will energize the whole panel. Since I'm running such a small load I'm not concerned about overloading the neutral.

So...during an outage, I'll open the 200A main breaker, plug my generator into the sub-panel, start it up and close the 20A two-pole circuit breaker in the panel.

I need to call Edison though. During my research I never found a transfer switch that also switched the neutral. So it appears anyone who runs an emergency generator is sending power through the neutral to the power company's nearest transformer. This creates a potential safety hazard to the guy working on the pole. Need to confirm how they handle this.

Of course this is the internet (trust nothing) and I'm not recommending any of this to anyone. YMMV.