Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
I'll let everyone else make people management suggestions, for myself, I'll offer congratulations and suggest that in my experience "temporary" promotions often turn out permanent or a step to another upgraded position if you do a good job. Don't treat it as temporary, treat like an opportunity to earn the permanent promotion.

Sorry Doug, I don't think that is going to happen. frown

In fact I would go as so far as to say that he has just been royally screwed over. I've been in this position with an ex-college of mine. She was the Assistant to the Manager of ........... Uk Ltd. He resigned. She was told that she was to act as manager until such time as a replacement was appointed. Despite being the de facto deputy manager, she was not going to get the job. She asked my advise. I told her to refuse, until or unless threatened with dismissal. Then do the job under protest. I also told her that she should secure other employment. Then resign, making it clear in her resignation that she resigns because of the companys actions.

My reasoning is/was that:

1) If your good enough to to the job "temporarily" then you are good enough to promote.

2) Doing the job and then having a new manager brought in over you will be cause anyone examining your work record to conclude that you were not up to the job. In consequence you were demoted for cause .

3) The manager is actually expecting you to show Loyalty and Commitment to them. Whilst being grossly disloyal to you as their employee.

Ok, advice. Approach your Manager. Ask him for the reasons why, despite you being expected to do the job "temporarily", you are not being considered for or being allowed to apply for the position. Do it in writing. Keep a copy.