Originally Posted By: Eugene
So far eneloops do much better in the cold than traditional so there isn't much lithium advantage there, maybe someday I'll put some side by side in the freezer and test but any cold that I could stand to be in they did fine.

That's my real life experience with eneloop as well, but I haven't done much in therms of lithium testing. But the laws of physics can't be ignored: Lithiums are less affected by cold and hot temperatures than any other battery technology. The "others" (alkalines, ordinary nimh and eneloop) doesn't like to be stored in hot temperatures and will have reduced performance if you drain them in the cold.

Notice that performance in the cold is also a question of how much you're drawing from the battery. High drain applications will have significant reduced performance: Catastrophic bad with alkalines, quite bad with ordinary nimh and probably noticeable with eneloop. Low drain applications will be much less affected, although run time will be reduced.

For me, it is a question of the eneloop will work where I live and for what I do. So far, the answer is a resounding YES. Lithium is for long time storage (the "DO NOT OPEN" labelled package). Eneloop is what I use on a regular basis. Alkalines are for low drain devices (remotes etc) and toys, gradually shifting toys that are used towards eneloops as well. But I detest and hate one-time only use items...

As a side note: If more devices accepted rechargeable li-ion I would use them - but not for long time storage (they don't store too well fully charged). So far, only a few exotic flashlights will eat li-ion batteries in my house...