Out in parks with my chocolate Lab, I've had people ask me, "How often do you train him?" My answer: "Every minute I'm with him."

I'm confident enough in my dog (who is a working duck/goose retriever) that I would tell him to sit in front of the Sportsman's Warehouse service desk, then walk off. Ten minutes later, I'd return to get him. The staff loved watching people's reaction as they walked past.

I've seen parents let a child play tug of war with a Lab puppy. I'll ask if they want the dog to retrieve for hours on end. They say yes. When I point out that retrieving requires exactly OPPOSITE behavior from tug of war, they are shocked. Tug of war means hang on; retrieve means go get it, bring it back, then let go. If you want the dog to do something as an adult, you've got to teach the dog to do it when the dog is a puppy.

Some old dogs can learn new tricks, but some can't; but it's much easier to teach a young dog.

No matter what breed you chose, you have to train it. Do NOT let it train you. If you do not have a clue on training, find someone who can train you. It's hard to train a Lab to herd cattle; and it's hard to train a red heeler to retrieve ducks (OK, probably impossible). Decide what you want a dog to do, then find the breed that does that.

If you want a friend, go to the pound and find a dog that steals your heart.