This is DW first real accident but far too common an experience on our roads so I would like to go through how I had prepared for the day and managed this crisis, not for my edifice but help others if it happens to them.

I was at work yesterday and saw I'd missed two fast calls from DW. Even as I was calling back, she called again. She had just been a victim of a Hit & Run while driving.

I first asked if she was alright, did she need emergency services. She said she did not. I asked if she was bleeding, cut or had a sharp pain, if she had got out of the vehicle. She said physically there were no indicators of that and that people had stopped to help her and she'd walked around. I asked if our 1 YO baby was in the backseat, I was relieved that she was not.

By the time she related this I was out the door and in her general direction. She gave me a cross street and I hung up. But most importantly she gave me a landmark. When we drive around our area we point out unique homes or designs. When she told me she was across from the house with the oriental lanterns (for Lunar New Year) I was dialed in.

While en route, I texted two of my friends, a chiropractor and an attorney. Putting them on stand by in case we needed their immediate aid. I called DW primary physician, (I keep all my family members doctors in my phone), and advised her that DW was in a non-life threatening auto accident and wanted her checked out for crash injuries and the upcoming pain management later in the day. If she was transported to a hospital I would call back. We now have an appointment time.

DW calls, police have arrived at her scene. 3 witnesses have stayed and giving statements. 2 witnesses followed the fleer, called 911, a helicopter finds the truck and police made contact with the driver. He has a decent police record, but he has insurance.

After spending several minutes at the scene and comforting DW with extra water and a jacket for shock, I make contact with our insurance (again in the phone) to open a claim, get an adjuster and get a reservation for a rental while the vehicle is in the shop.

As the police forward information to us on what is happening at the other scene, we are taking information from good our Samaritans for our records. I use the camera in my car to take pictures of the skid marks and vehicle damage. The officer taking photos for the report even jokes with me using a nicer camera than her and taking more pictures.

Collecting information from the officers I confirm all names and numbers and a realistic time line for me to contact them. By the time we get home, I have an adjuster calling me for statements and verified the fleers insurance is indeed valid based on the information I got from PD.

Then her vehicle is dropped off at the shop. Rental is set up. Arrangement for kids done. I advised DW that dinner is courtesy of Applebee's curbside to go program. I have a talk with our 7 YO before he gets home so he knows whats wrong with mommy's vehicle and she will be sore for a few days.

I canceled my meeting for the next morning and rescheduled all DW appointments for the next two days. Only expecting that the night would be long and she would be sore in the morning resulting in longer prep time for the family to get out the door. I have ordered a maid for housecleaning next week. If nothing else, its a bonus, at the worst she will really need this taken from her mind while laid up.

This isn't to make me look like a hero. The points here are:

1. We know each others general plans for the day and anticipated routes.
2. We point out landmarks or places of interest for short hand on location.
3. We have each others vital information in our phones so we can make calls on the other behalf.
4. I have an emergency kit in my car that includes items for shock and evidence gathering.
5. Seek witnesses, take notes and confirm items received from 1st responders. We plan on sending personalized notes and gift cards to those witnesses that stopped. Good deeds need to be rewarded.
6. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Everyone knows that after an impact like this the 2nd and 3rd day will be physically hard. Plan for pain/comfort management. The physician found injuries DW and police did not notice like several broken fingernails.
7. I planned out ways to take stress away from DW by managing meals, mornings prep and rescheduling her appointments.