Found this article and thought it would be good to share here.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100228/ap_on_re_us/us_snow911_death

Sometime 911 can't or isn't able to respond even in the city/urban areas.

The article says that at one time the Ambulance was less than a football field away.

There are times that we will all need help, but sometimes we need to have Plan B, or even a Plan C.

This is a cross between three things,
1) Extreme unexpected weather for that region (as memory servers this is NOT a normal snow storm)
2) Sometimes you need to self rescue
3) There are times when "creative" rescue needs to be applied by the Rescuers and not "sit in the Ambulance" technique.

When I did rescue/EMS it was ONLY when creative solutions were necessary, (during the blizzard of 1992 in Maine I rigged up a snowmobile trailer to be a makeshift ambulance) but it bothers me that the rescuers weren't able to think outside the box.

With the level of pain and discomfort that is described I am not sure that a self rescue by the person and his Significant Other would have been possible by themselves, and even a neighbor couldn't get his car out to help.

The thing is after 4 hours I would have started thinking outside the box, started looking for a self rescue, after 10 hours, I would have given up and found my own solution (Give the guy down the block with the 4x4 some money or something to get you out)

This tragedy is a series of significant mistakes.