Originally Posted By: Streamside
Good point. Yup there are book tests and hands on tests. Let me clarify a bit. I was intending to establish a baseline of knowledge with a book test. Yes "how to build a fire" could be tested with a hands on demonstration.

I am constantly reminded as I read and write on this site and on others, how profoundly a person's location affects what they know, what they do, and what they believe. An example would be the use of stoves. In California, there seems to be an inner fear of wildfire, due no doubt to actual wildfire events repeated annually there. All outdoors people there seem to carry a little stove with them. Where I live, there is little to no chance of wildfire most of the year. Whenever I want fire, I build a little one on the ground, get close, and stay warm. Other than my two burner Coleman for camp, I have never owned a little stove. I'm sure that equally experienced outdoors persons from California (and other areas as well) would think I was crazy for that. I just don't need a stove. Any test that would purport to measure outdoor skills and strategies would have to be strictly regional in scope and situational in focus.