Originally Posted By: jdavidboyd
Originally Posted By: ILBob
...There is often little discernible quality difference between stuff made in the USA and stuff made elsewhere....

Whoa dude! Quick, duck!!!

Just the facts.

If you believe it is not possible to make a good quality product outside the USA, you are smoking something that is negatively affecting your judgment.

The overwhelming majority of electronic components (ICs, resistors, capacitors, etc.) are made offshore these days. And the quality of electronic products has never been higher. Most consumer electronics are made offshore as well, and those products are of very high quality, as are a lot of small appliances and tools.

The US market will not except pure junk, but there is no mass market for Cadillacs, and the offshore manufacturers know that. They go to a lot of trouble to make their products of a high enough quality that it more than meets the customers wishes.

If I want to buy pots made out of aluminum, that may well be of a "lower" quality than SS pots with copper bottoms, but if the aluminum pots meet my needs, how have I as the consumer been cheated? I have actually been well served by the manufacturer who made me what I wanted to buy at a price point I was willing to pay.

I am one of the guys that has helped the Chinese and the Mexicans make better products. A fair number of machines I have worked on ended up there. I have been there and seen the plants in action. I have also been in some US based plants that compete very effectively price wise against offshore plants. Its not impossible to do so. You just have to be down right good at what you are doing, and sadly, as a country, we lost the big edge we had in manufacturing long ago. We can't compete largely because we no longer want to compete, not because of some unfair advantage the Chinese have.

Bob