Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Originally Posted By: hikermor

The real problem is that if you evacuate your building because of an earthquake, you are not likely to have time to change shoes, or even necessarily to grab them on your way out.

I'm ignorant of these things, but I've always assumed the worst place to be is outside next to a multi-story office building as the glass windows and facade fall off and shatter on the pavement. In other words, move toward the exit and be ready to go, but don't exit until things quit falling outside or something inside (like a fire) becomes even more threatening than outside

Agreed. I certainly wouldn't stick my neck outside until things had stopped falling, but, even given that, time will often be of the essence. In my work situation, I am often away from my desk, either in our warehouse, or elsewhere within the structure.

We have regular evacuation drills which are quite interesting. Nearly everyone elects to follow the obvious exit, typically the ones in regular use. There are alternate, signed exits which are much less frequented. From what I have seen, I am going to try and use the less obvious exits. The large number of people heading for the doors looks like a breeding ground for panic and trampling if anything goes awry. I dislike being in a crowd.