Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I think the value of fish as a survival food depends on where you are. Bass and other non-oily fish have about 125 calories per 3.5 ounces, compared with 250 calories for grouse meat, and 400 for venison. There are only a few options in the boreal forest for much of the year unless you have a gun and ammo.

I have been recalling the story of a colleague of mine who was working in Siberia under winter conditions obtaining mammoth fossils. Their staple was reindeer, but the reindeer meat had to be supplemented by local fish, which provided the necessary fat. Must not have been bass, I guess.

The moral of these stories must be that you had better have pretty specific knowledge of the available foods if you are out for a long time.

Salmon and trout are 'oily' fish and have about double the fat and calories of non-oily fish like bass. I used non-oily fish as an example because catching or spearing a salmon or lake trout in the areas I go to would be difficult in a survival situation. You can find 9" creek chubs in almost any stream in the northwoods, and they are easy to catch on a small hook and worm or to spear with a little frog spear.