its interesting to talk about teotwawki like that but I have never felt that it is a likely thing where I live. I live near a lot of farmland, horse country, etc. Famine and such is a possibility in many "unsustainable" locales but I still feel its unlikely. our country wastes amazing amounts of resources. gloom'n'doom predictions often assume that we are running on fumes which has never been the case.

if you are worried about it, great questions to ask yourself include:
Did people live here 100 years ago? if not, why not? Did they thrive? what challenges did they have with each season?

History is a wonderful teacher.

Speaking of history being a wonderful teacher...

I think that this article deftly summarizes our events. The very amusing thing is that it was written 8 years ago about Japan. Someone else on this forum mentioned that a 15 year recession like Japan's is far more likely. After doing some research, I tend to agree.

In the article, you could replace "Japan" with "USA" and it would be right on the money.

That being said, i think everyone should consider getting seeds and chickens, which I've done. I only kept the chickens for 9 months, but better to become familiar with them now... the seeds are in windowsill milk boxes starting to sprout even as I type!