Originally Posted By: benjammin

There's still a grand biological reason why young men are drafted into war. As I learned from my now college age daughters, it is far easier to mold the mind and will of a young man than it is a young woman. At 18, both my daughters were convinced they knew far more about the world than I could understand. It amazed them how much I learned about the world by the time they were 21!

One conclusion I tend to support for a whole host of reasons is that young men are just plain dumb compared to older married men and young women, and older women are the most intelligent in general. After all, they seem to live the longest, even today. Surely "smarts" must have something to do with this?

Tell a group of experienced thirty year old guys that you want them to charge across a hundred yards of flat sand toward machine guns in bunkers and your going to see a distinct lack of enthusiasm. You might inspire a 17 year old kid with tales of heroism for a noble cause but it rarely works once they are over 25. Rared still if they have any combat experience. It wasn't the grizzled veterans and grognards that came ashore that day.

There was a reason that when planning the D-day invasion of France that the vast majority of troops in the initial waves were young and had never been in combat. They had been trained to the nines and practiced until the actions were automatic. But most of the experience in the initial waves was in the senior NCOs even the officers were mostly inexperienced.

Which raises the question of how they got the senior NCOs to go. Easy, the NCOs are highly motivated to try to keep the young guys alive. They know frontal attacks are meat grinders but they also figure they can make a difference. And, cynically, they know if the kids don't carry the day they will have to. When the landing on Omaha faltered it was the NCOs who got small groups moving. Which is why the waves of inexperienced troops had been salted with more experienced ones.

Young males just aren't very good at contemplating and judging the likely outcome of their actions.

I was there when an older boy rode down a hill while standing on the seat of his bike to impress come girls. After hitting the curb and bouncing off a tree the girls noticed him. Hard to miss the ambulance and blood.

I saw what happened when a young guy lit himself on fire with barbecue lighter fluid. He figured it would look cool, impress the ladies, and go out like it does in the movies. Two weeks in the burn center, months of skin grafts, and a year of physical therapy later he was mostly back to normal.

I agree that generally the females are smarter. Smart enough to let the males think that they are.