That is indeed interesting. In googling "kelly kettle", "storm kettle", "volcano kettle", and now "thermette", I've seen a lot of praise, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I received my Storm "Popular" model a few days ago, but this has been a "week-from-H" at work.. long hours, high pressure, worked yesterday and today, and I've had no time to fire the kettle up. The size is interesting- it's either the best or worst of both worlds, depending on how you view it. Maximum capacity is a bit less than I thought it would be from the descriptions, something just a hair over 32 ounces. Looks like it will do for two 16 ounce mugs, or one mug and a pouch of freeze-dried food, which is what I was going for... on the other hand, it's pretty bulky for backpacking. For summer packing, where there's far less inclination toward hot drinks, I think I'd be tempted to revert to the singe-pint Kelly. For the main use I bought it for it should do just fine.

I did check, and this one shows no sign of leaks, but the warnings and disclaimers about that and other things that came with it are EXACTLY, word-for-word, identical to those on the Kelly Kettle website. Hmm....

I'm also really tempted to time boiling before and after blackening the inside of the chimney with stove paint, or maybe Birchwood Casey aluminum black (hmm... that latter may have potential for unhealthy fumes...) . People really tend to underestimate the difference blackening can make in heat exchange- it's often dramatic. Tests on cylinders of air-cooled motorcycle engines before and after blackening have shown almost 100 degree F differences.