I have ABOK (The Ashley Book of Knots) too, and love it, but I would not recommend it for a beginning someone new to knots or just trying to relearn a few. It is more of a reference than a "How To" guide. I think someone tryng to us Ashley's book as their first learning book for knots will be severly disappointed. Ashley wrote a great book for people who are ALREADY into knots, not beginners.

"The Directory Of Knots" by John Shaw is one I would recommend for more practical use. I think I even saw this one on the bargain shelves at a Barnes & Nobles or Borders once too. So check there and you might get a good discount on the price.

"The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots" by Geoffrey Budsworth is not bad. For actually learning to tie the knots I like Shaw's book better, but for a colorful coffee table book for guests to browse through, the photography in Budsworth's book is very appealing. Budsworth's book is not bad, but sometimes they crop the pictures too close and you have no easy way to tell the standing end vs. the running end of the rope.

The selection of knots in both Shaw's and Budsworth's books should cover wall that the average person would need. Both books also contain some "Why would I want to learn THAT knot?" type of filler things, but those can be easily ignored.