To answer some of you questions:

First of all congratulations on earning your RN, I think it will serve you well.

Yes, the “P” stands for Paramedic. EMT-B is EMT-Basic, EMT-I is EMT-Intermediate and EMT-P is EMT-Paramedic. Some states may have some additional titles, such as here in Maryland we have CRT= Cardiac Rescue Technician. The EMT-I / CRT and EMT-P are Advanced Life Support (ALS) levels. As to what you would need to do to obtain your ALS affiliation will depend upon the state in which you plan on practicing. Here in Maryland, an RN must take the EMT-B (around 180hrs) course, sit for the National Registry exam at the EMT-P level (written and practical) then take the state protocol test and then meet with their local Medical Director. Depending upon the local jurisdictional requirements, they must be precepted on 5-10 calls before they can function as an ALS provider. If you are associated with a commercial service, requirements may be different, but you can only function under the medical license of the Medical Director of the commercial service. Each jurisdiction may vary in the association of their ALS program within the EMS and/or Fire Service. Here in Frederick, it is a separate arm within the Department of Fire/Rescue, but is not associated with a particular fire department.

Pete