Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
"surface available"..i don't get what you mean,i keep the ones that i take camping in small WP plastic jars with the heads down so i'm not picking them out with a wet finger by the heads.i also keep a bit of the striker off the box glued to the inside of the cap and a couple birthday candles in the jar also.

\

i also tried the old trick of sealing up a box in wax,face all the heads the same direction so you won't chip them when you cut a bundle off the pack..BIG TIP--don't get the wax real hot or it will flow out of the seams of the box even if you wrap in in foil!..otherwise a fun project and no i have not tried out any of these yet.

In the nicest fashion possible, don't do this. It is an old idea that has the signal disadvantages of:
1) Not suitable for hot climates.
2) Some varieties of match soak up the wax and become unstrikable.
3) They can become very difficult to separate at cold temperatures (wax goes hard).

A better trick is to dip the matches one at a time into nail varnish. Allow them to dry and then put them in a metal match case. This also makes them burn better.

Note* Les Stroud states in "Survive" that plastic is unsuitable because there is a small chance of static causing matches to ignite.