Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: Eugene
f you had purchased $1,000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would
now be worth $49.00.

Not quite true, as I did buy Nortel stock a while ago, and it's worth $0 now.

If you panic sold in 2008 and 2009, you then missed out on a rally of epic proportions.

I continued to contribute every month to my 401(k) - even as month after month, it lost more and more value. But each month, my dollars bought more of the devalued stocks, and then, on the turnaround, I watched as my holdings increased by 5 figures in a matter of days. The stock market is a 25 year + game, and it's only part of the game. 10 Year TIPS for some of your holdings, and a bit of bonds and some nice, juicy ultra-high risk stuff for money you can afford to waste - because it pays so well. Read "Black Swan" and enjoy.

I am worried about my 401k, and I'm honestly looking for someone to calm me down. Have you factored in the probability of interest rates in the 40% range, along with a devaluation of the dollar and a doubling of the current income tax rate? The national debt is approaching the GDP and confgress just votedto increase it. These scenarios would also cause another market 'correction' and look very likely to me.