Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Cable DSL might still be functioning. The main problem here might be the lack of ability to power your DSL cable modem/router. Therefore a UPS might be very useful to power this kit. A 3G capable router or USB dongle might provide an additional comms link. VOIP telephone calls may well then be possible using various Ethernet adapters.

One unexpected problem I ran into last weekend: I recently purchased a small back-up UPS for my Cable Modem and Router. When I went to test it, my interal home router ran fine but the Cable modem won't run off of the back-up. Talked to the cable company and it seems the frequency generated by the battery back-up may be outside the tolerance (to far outside of 60Hz) the cable modem wants to see. (I probably didn't say that technically correct, but in short, they don't work together). I've read that more expensive units may do a better job and I believe a few even come with guarantees.

So, like any piece of our equipment, be sure to test it before you need it.

Regards,

Michael

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.