Originally Posted By: JBMat
My DW and I are amazed we lived through childhood without childseats, safety belts, biking helmets, elbow pads, knee pads, shoulder pads, IPOds, Cell phones, implanted GPS chips and kevlar underwear. The stuff we used as kids didn't come with warning labels, nutrional labels and an enclosed lawyer should you wish to sue anyhow.

Let kids be kids. Teach them right from wrong and more importantly, how to know the difference. The "nanny state" mentality isn't doing anyone any favors.

Funny, I am now old enough (shudder to think!) that I remember when seatbelts were an "accessory". Most of our vehicles didnt have seatbelts-the kids just piled in the back. A few vehicles didnt even have seats: our old landrover had no back seat, our Ford econoline van, no back seat, and a pickup truck-no place FOR a back seat!
One of my fondest memories was driving around town, all of us kids (5 of us, from 10 down to 4) being in the back of the truck, as my dad drove around, and we'd yell every time we went under a bridge smile. Sadly, that was probably one of our safer activities....