I just heard on the radio today that Ohio will be out of funds for unemployment payments at the end of this month. Kentucky is already out of money and is borrowing from the Feds. California is probably just using IOUs...

But the 'big news' is that 'unemployment has slowed'. I think all that has happened is that some people have run out of unemployment and have fallen off the rolls, so they're not being counted.

The neighbors behind me (the ones with the dogs that killed my chickens) have moved out and abandoned their house, leaving a bunch of trash and an old car. The neighbors next door to me have moved out without saying a word, and there is a for-sale sign in the front yard today. The neighbor on my other side is living in his 25' travel trailer.

More houses for sale, more empty business storefronts. One has a series of signs on it: "For Rent", "For Lease", "For Sale", and "Take Your Pick".

"But don't worry, at least here in North America, healty food is very affordable. Beans, vegetables, rice, wheat, a whole chicken, etc...."

And much of our food is coming from the Midwest and California, and the rest is coming from outside the country. Add processing and transportation costs, delete a job and the Fed/State/County assistance programs, and then what?

Economic solutions seem to be just about as rigid as the laws of physics: There are no shortcuts, it only really works one way, you have to plan for long-term results, not just the short-term ones. All they are really talking about is fixing the job problem. The job problem is not the main problem, the housing problem is not the main problem, the economy is the main problem. Our government and the people who control them are looking for short-term shortcuts and ways to make profits. Until they really decide to settle down and fix the problems with the SYSTEM, I think it's all just going to get worse.

If we go into a major depression but the talking heads don't admit it, is it still a depression? YES! Remember the Emperor's New Clothes?

Sue