Quote:
A few grams in the medical kit allow you to make quite a large quantity of anti-fungal solution to treat athlete's foot, 'gook sores', ringworm. Hard to say how much a gram will make. I mix it by sight. A light pink color is about right for foot fungus and figure a gram might make a quart or two of anti-fungal solution. Mixed up an ounce or two at a time you might have thirty treatments in a five gram supply. Which makes it very efficient in terms of weight and bulk.

With fungal infections prevention is better than cure. Wash your feet daily. If you use water purification tablets use a small amount of this water once it has fully activated in the water to wash your hi risk areas. The water will still have enough chlorine in it to deal with any nasties.

Using PP on your feet actually weakens the skin and causes cracking and pitting which allows infection in. I used it years ago to try to help combat a fungal infection whilst on a survival course on Dartmoor. The PP softened the skin and allowed the infection to go deeper into the skin. It also softened the skin which rubbed off into little skin balls taking away the dead skin protection. Meaning I was getting blisters a lot faster. This softened weaker skin holds water so makes it nearly imposable to dry your feet which again helped the fungal to spread and increased the blister problem. And, on top of that the skin started to crack around the nails and toes. It got to the point I could not walk from the pain. I ended sitting down for 48 hours with my feet exposed to let them air dry before I could weigh bare on them again. I learnt a valuable lesson on that course.

After the course I was talking to one of the range staff, an old boy that had left the Army but never actually leaves but becomes part of the woodwork. He asked why I was in so much pain. I told him and his reply was very clear. “Never listen to the staff or believe the manuals, they don’t have the experience in most cases, if they did they would not tell you this stuff.”