So very nice to live in the middle of the city when a big snow hits. Several corner markets within half a mile have the basics for those who don't want to brave parking lots at supermarkets. Walkable coffee shops, restaurants, delis and diners are cozy places to sit and watch the snow fall outside. Snowshoeing on the National Mall.

Neighborhood friends and I have already planned for group meals -- stew tomorrow, chili, a walk to the local barbeque place today. Who has what in case of power failure. When the dogs will get together for the Snow Bowl at a local schoolyard....

Sympathies and best wishes to those who for whatever reason feel they must be on the highways during the storm. Drive extra cautiously and prepare to be stuck in traffic jams or snow drifts for many, many hours.

To those of us hunkering down at home, who still have the benefit of electricity: enjoy!

You can bet a million bucks that I will be posting a lot of photos in the next 24 hours. Assuming I have electricity and Internet (which in all likelihood I will as it is very rare for to have outages in my zip code because the power lines are underground).

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/?hpid=topnews

Not just major but most likely historic snow is approaching. Please take this potentially dangerous storm seriously. Snow will start between mid-morning and mid-day, slowly lowering the temperature to around freezing. Mixed precipitation may accompany the light, beginning period of the storm. Slowly through the afternoon and early evening the snow will accumulate. But the bulk of the storm's fury will come after dark when snow rates over an inch per hour are likely. Snowfall intensity will diminish Saturday afternoon, slowly. But breezes will pickup, creating cold wind-chilled air. The impact of this storm will be felt for long after snow ceases by Saturday evening.