Hi all, long time lurker, figure I'll use this thread to cut my teeth smile Not necessarily a treehugger but I think, like the large majority, I'll do my best be be conscientious to everyone and every thing.

Originally Posted By: greytruck444
I think this is something the writer bought to feel like she's prepared

Originally Posted By: haertig
And what is eco-friendly (or even useful) about a cheap plastic flashlight that probably won't last 5 minutes before it's ready for the trash?

This isn't the case. In the first paragraph she clearly states her family bought it for her due to their concerns, it was not a pack she made to be eco friendly. It's not until the recent events in Haiti did she even bother considering a BOB. The article is asking for how to improve a pre packaged BOB in the greenest possible way. I see it as a good thing that she is actually re-evaluating the contents of the off the shelf BOB.

Originally Posted By: philip
so I'm guessing kids are part of the picture.

I may be incorrect in this assumption but they may just be part of the pack. She does not state how many people will use the bag. The bag appears to have been an off the shelf purchase, configured for a group of 4 (incl child)

Originally Posted By: clarktx
I respect being green. But in an emergency I think there are far more important things to worry about than whether your BOB is environmentally conscious.

Not singling you out, but this sentiment appears to be a repeating theme in a number of the replies to this thread. I think people might be confusing configuring a BOB, in advance of an emergency situation, with "green" products and living a green lifestyle while bugging out. I see no reason why building a bob and choosing environmentally friendly solutions must be mutually exclusive.
I see it more in choosing the materials than living the lifestyle.

For example:
- Replace the plastic flashlight with a good quality metal flashlight.
- The survival blankets will probably be pretty cheap and at best get one use. Replace with something like a heatsheet which is much stronger and reusable.
- Poncho's as with the blankets are more than likely going to be pretty flimsy. Replace with something more reliable.
- A bag that isn't going to fall apart on first carry.

Of course, there is one down side to upgrading the BOB. It's not overly green, you still have to do something with the items that were swapped out smile

Now the one thing that most have over looked, that I'm surprised more have not made suggestion for, is her problem with the weight. Plenty of options for reducing weight and in a relatively green (good quality long lasting products) way.