Originally Posted By: nursemike
Maybe a green spin on disaster preparedness would work:
Water storage spun as rainwater conservation through collection/storage of roof runoff. Backup electricity spun as collection/storage of solar energy through photovoltaics. Food storage as a shift down the food chain to grains and legumes and bulk purchase/storage thereof. You could make a green case against charcoal grilling due to the petroleum cost of charcoal production, suggesting substitution of scavenged branches as a heat source-weave in carrying a knife so that a fuzz stick could be used for ignition, rather than petrochemical starter fluid. You could have people looking and living like Jeremiah Johnson without ever mentioning disaster preparedness.
Then we rebrand "Equipped to Survive" as "Ecology Tending and Sustaining" preserving the acronym, and rename the DR personal survival kit to become the DR habitat preservation kit. The knives could become the DR aboriginal environmental tools....

The problem with that approach is it would be a misrepresentation of the class. What's funny is I'm also involved in the Houston Transition program which is trying to convert Houston into a self-sustaining city on many levels. Most of the people involved in this are Green/AGW/Peak Oil people and they want me to teach the emergency prep class. It really just seems to be this one lady blocking the path. I've choosen to pity her rather than continue to be angry at her. Pity is a much more satisfying emotion. smirk

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.