Thanks, everyone. The good wishes are sincerely appreciated. I'm home now, safe and sound, assuming my malaria prophylaxis worked!

Most of my time was spent between helping care for the huge, desperate crowds gathered for days in horrid conditions at the Embassy, working at the airport screening, caring for and loading evacuees into aircraft, and working at the Casualty Collection Point for the USNS Comfort hospital ship.

From a survivalist POV, the outstanding lessons are:

Have your passport on you at all times, if possible, with extra photocopies in your baggage, with all your traveling companions, and with a readily accessible and motivated friend back home. Those with it could go directly to the airport and get on a C-17 back home with minimal hassle. Those without faced days of waiting in the mob of thousands outside the Embassy, in the sun without (initially) food, water, toilets, etc., as the overwhelmed staff tried to confirm their citizenship.

Cash is king. Have some on you. US currency was more than good enough in Haiti.

Water was problematic. Have some means to make it safe.

Your travel FAK needs to include antibiotics and a backup supply of any meds you depend on.

Reliable info was scarce, and dangerously misleading rumors abounded. Somewhat surprisingly, cellphones and even WiFi worked in several places, allowing access to help and reliable information from home.

Respect for the locals and local officials, great patience, tolerance for ambiguity, and the ability to not act like a rude, arrogant, demanding American is very helpful.