I deliberately let the kids choose if they should expose themselves to falling - within limits, of course. If they managed above a certain height I would stand behind them as safeguard, preventing a potential deadly fall but not offering any assistance (I would lift 'em down if they got scared, though). It is somewhat special and proud feeling to see your 1 year old daughter manage a 6 feet ladder...

Traveling with these kids to the UK and US brought out some interesting cultural differences. All of the playgrounds we tried were excellent, with soft padded ground. I had really no problems letting 2-3 year old kids roam free in the apparatus labeled "above 5 years" or some even "above 12 years" (in principle, they've been doing that since they could crawl, but the smallest ones with some parental assistance). Falling 4-5 feet on soft padded ground is not dangerous, it's a healthy pedagogic exercise in physics and your own capabilities. I didn't get any negative feedback, but it was puzzling to watch some other parents or grandparents with their perpetual "careful, careful, careful" mantra and the way they would rush to aid with the slightest struggle, obviously afraid of the slightest fall.

Kids actually figure out pretty quick what they can and can't do. When they're up to it, they'll seek challenges that are just beyond what they did yesterday. Other times, they just do what they're comfortable with. The smallest ones will require some assistance to get down when they climb beyond their capabilities - they may not fall, but they suddenly get tired or otherwise feel the height and lack of control. Important lessons, if you ask me.

As for the fire and taking things apart - thank you for the inspiration! It's just a motivation for doing more of the things I love to do with the kids. My 5 year old already has a knife that he is incredible proud of, but he has to train and grow a bit before he can use it without closeup parental supervision. Yep, he's got knife scars already (of course our fault, not his)

Edited by MostlyHarmless (02/02/10 08:48 AM)