My stuff is pretty eco-friendly.

I don't have a lot of packaging on my stuff and stuff that is in packages is in reusable packages that can be used for other things too if needed.

Edit: it isn't because of environmental concerns. It is just that everything gets tested and the store packaging gets discarded in the process.

Somebody already mentioned real water containers instead of drink baggies.
I would suggest LED flashlights that get far more hours out of a battery because batteries are heavy.

I didn't see any spare clothing in her bag and there seems to be some excessive redundancy with a tarp, space blankets, plastic trash bags and ponchos.

I would likely throw some bic lighters in even if I did keep the kitchen matches (which should definitely be in a match safe)
My personal preference is for one good solid knife in the kit.
It does not need to be big. Mora is OK, pretty good, pretty light, inexpensive.

I see very little sanitation stuff. A bit of soap bar, a small bit of rag and some TP might be welcome.

She is right to think she needs a stronger bag, it does not need to be fancy but it does need to be solidly made. A bag that is ripping apart without a serious load in it is not much good.

I think she is right to be concerned about the weight. There are a lot of people that would be in trouble if they had to carry 30 pounds for more than a few miles.

Maybe she could consider a bug out bundle buggy too.
One of those ones for dragging groceries home from the store but with decent wheels on it.
They are usually light enough to be carried past small obstacles if you needed to and are much easier to drag through a lot of places than a heavy back sack.
You would still be able to strap your pack on if the route got rough, but in the mean time you would be saving your back.