Depending on the severity of the UL illness, a FAK would be as small as bandaids, some GI distress tabs and Advil or Tylenol.

Most UL hikers when they are in that mode, have a steady resupply of gear through the mail. They have their support team mailing packages to them while enroute or they mail ahead all the supplies they need for the next section but not the current. Also UL hikers tend to hit a town every 4-5 days at most to get their supplies and will stay in town an extra day to recover. So its easy to fix any medical condition and Charlie Mike (Continue Mission).

This is a different mindset from preparedness minded folk who by nature predict the necessity of gear otherwise forgotten. I am trying to blend the two with interesting results.

As a beginning course on backpacking like this man teaches I personally would never endorse the RayWay right off the bat. But that is me. I have the person invest in good gear that is off-the-rack and stupid proof, not homemade. This person is telling a newbie to eschew a tent for a tarp? If I took his course w/ what I know, I'd challenge that advice for a new person.