Originally Posted By: Tarzan
If you have a Trader Joes anywhere near you, they have the Oatmeal in the tin can. Its about the same size as a one quart paint can with a friction lid. I have been thinking of putting some of these back for emergency food, Oatmeal does take a lot of water to prepare but it is nutritious and filling.

I am sure that is why I purchased my container of oatmeal, which I opened the other day since it had been around a few years. I deemed it time to consume and replace.

To my surprise, when I pried off the lid and punctured the intact aluminum seal just below, the top layer of oatmeal had been compromised, probably by water, changing into some sort of gray muck, which also extended down the sides of the can an inch or two.

Had this been a real emergency, I would probably have tried to salvage some of the interior material, but, playing safe, I just pitched all the contents.

To my surprise, we were only six months past the "Best By" date of 06/2/2009 printed on the base of the can.

I think I will try again with a fresh can. I regularly consume oatmeal. It is nutritious, cheap, and sustaining. Add enough fruits and it is actually tasty.

One other thing. The directions on the can recommend cooking time of 30 minutes - not good in an emergency situation. I understand that in the old days in merrie Scotland, you grabbed a handful of oats,plunged your hand into a mountain brook, and breakfast was served. That's tough! perhaps some of our UK friends can comment further.