Well, IMO you both make good points. All three are sturdy and relatively bright lights (for size).

Here's my 2 cents:

The ARC AAA LE has all-over precision knurling and HA-III anodizing and so far that is as tough as they claim. So far, not a scratch on it from EDC in a "hazardous" location (RF pocket; truck keys +, work auto keys +, Micra, Schrade 340T) (Yes, I did saw deeply into another namebrand flashlight with an LE - one stroke thru the other's anodizing and deep into the body - I couldn't resist trying it and it flabbergasted me.)

I don't carry a Sonic (two kids do), but I predict they will scuff up like a Solitaire over time - no big deal <shrug>

I like the CMGs a lot - but there is a look and feel to the ARC AAA LE that screams "quality" and "elegance in design" - you have to hold one and use it to sense this, I suppose. It's remarkable - understated techo art or something.

But the CMGs cost a heck of a lot less and both the I-ultra and the Sonic seem to be about as bright. Both the Infinity Ultra and the Sonic are some of the gifts I will be sending to family members this year. A special birthday for a sib is an ARC AAA LE, though...

And I *DID* pre-order some of Peter's AA version ARCs <grin>

The ARC AAAs and the CMG Sonics have replaced our EDC Photon II whites. Which reminds me - I need to get a few ARC AAA reds to replace some EDC Photon II reds... too bad the Sonic does not have a red LED variant. Lights based on AAs are a bit large for EDC pocket carry for my tastes - the Sonic and ARC AAA are just right.

There is just enough mass and volume to both ARC AAA and Sonic that I sense their presence or absence in my pocket throughout the day, which has been an off-and-on issue with the Photon IIs - they are so light that they have been "invisible" in my pockets and I've misplaced them/dropped out of a pocket unnoticed a few times as a result - who would have thought... OTOH, I prefer the Photon on a neck lanyard for exactly the same "invisibility" reason - YMMV. But I rarely use a neck lanyard.

So our Photon II whites are finally going where they are a great fit - the PSK/FAK type stashes. And I think the reds/oranges/yellows are going to become "permanently" attached to attic loops in our various packable tents (girth-hitched short lanyards). There is a slight chance that they will get turned on when packed, but we'll see.

Regards,

Tom