To some extent that is true, certainly moreso for most, but I find myself in a rare situation, in that I can and do go from contractor to employee. Since there's nothing I alone can do about the regulators and the games the government and big business play with our economy and our monetary system, I try to focus my efforts on the things I can control, namely the skillset I deploy into industries with a greater need than the supply can support. While I don't exactly get to name my own price, I do manage to stay ahead of my cost of living fairly well, and that is really all I need to worry about. Since I don't keep money (except my 401k, which I consider a novelty anyways) as a protected asset, but convert it to material goods that can be resold for present market value, I don't feel the pinch of inflation on any real investments; depreciation being a naturally expected loss that can only be offset with prudent purchases.

I reckon it all boils down to what you are willing to do to stay afloat. Today I am an employee. Next year I might contract again. It all depends on what the market in my industry and area needs the most. Having the flexibility to choose at any given time affords me a better opportunity to stay ahead of the game. I wouldn't smirk one way or another, just take the checks to the bank, watching them get progressively bigger. Since 2005 I have more than doubled my income, and it will continue to progress at that level for the foreseeable future, with a good measure of security built into it. It doesn't seem to matter much whether I am in a government run industry or outside of it. In fact, I would say the government work is doing better for me in general.

I would agree it is not common. It is something I worked damned hard to accomplish. The good news is as CPI increases because of inflation, so to will the cost of doing business for my employer/client, and so whatever the inflation issues are, they remain perpetually pass through on my end. The fact that I remain very hard to replace, competitive with my peers, and willing to do things others refuse only works more in my favor. It might not be pleasant, but it is effective.

I learned at a young age that most of the time we don't get to do what we want, but we almost always get to do something. Learning how to make the most of the whatever the something was/is, regardless of whether we like it or not, is a life skill I am still trying to teach my kids. There's almost always a chance to do more, so worrying whether what I do will be enough to keep up with inflation is not a consideration. I always make sure I am doing more than enough whwenever possible. I don't waste time pursuing career opportunities that won't produce sufficiently. As long as I have the means to do better, I will. When that situation changes, I will make do with whatever I have or can get within my means.

For most of us, whatever we think we need, most often we can learn to get by with less anyways, but for our constant need to feed our egos and our laziness.